Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Called in Sick.

On Thursday I woke up with a huge headache. Borderline migraine. I stumbled into the kitchen where Joel and Ben were eating breakfast. As I leaned against the wall and shaded my eyes from the light I asked in the most pitiful voice possible, "Can you work from home today?" The thought of making it through the day with my three children, no t.v. (go here if you haven't heard about that), and no backyard for the boys to play in (they knocked over a rotten section of the fence earlier in the week) was more than I could bear.

Unfortunately for me, Joel's boss had declared a halt to last-minute work from home just the day before. But fortunately for me, Joel is in REALLY good with his boss. Basically, he doesn't take advantage of her good nature. Let me tell you, it's good for your husband to have an excellent reputation and relationship with his boss.

After I stumbled back to bed almost in tears thinking Joel would be leaving soon, he took pity on me and called his boss. I know it wasn't easy for him to do. She agreed the timing was bad but he could work from home. Yippeee for Stephanie! I pulled the covers over my head and went back to sleep.

A couple of hours later my bladder drove me from my sick bed. My bladder and the stomping of little boys wearing their work boots. As I approached the bathroom Ben saw me and declared, "We cwean owt de gawage!" Joel explained that the boys kept pestering him so he decided to use a sick day and play with them. For some reason, that remains unknown to me, they had gone into the garage. Joel found his hammer in the garage had been munched on by a critter. The bottom of the rubber coated handle had been nibbled on pretty good.

And so Joel decided he should spend the day cleaning out the garage. Thus the boys in their work boots. I confess cleaning out the garage is something I have hoped for. The chaos in the garage has gotten so bad I only go about 3 feet inside the back door. God used a mouse to motivate Joel to clean out the garage. No nagging from me was necessary.

The boys (dressed only in shorts and their matching yellow work boots like Daddy's) and Daddy worked on the garage all day. That freed me to nap and have an extended quiet time.

By the end of the day I felt much better. Not only was my headache gone but I felt very loved and valued. My husband took a sick day, cared for 3 children ALL day long, and cleaned out the garage. It wasn't what he planned to do that day and I know it wasn't easy for him to do. But he put my needs ahead of his own comfort and plans. Ladies, that is a good man.

Sweet, I appreciate what you did more than words can say. Thank you for letting me take a sick day. I felt very loved and cared for. You are an excellent husband. I love you.

4 comments:

Tech Daddy said...

You're welcome. I love you.

Alicia said...

I'm so glad he took care of you! How loving!

Julie said...

That is a good man!

Future Travel, Spontaneous Love said...

That was very sweet of him. Thank you for leaving comments on my page!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...